All India Institute of Medical Sciencesor the AIIMS Exam is one of the most awaited medical exams of the year. This MBBS exam is conducted by AIIMS, New Delhi under which there are 7 institutions comprising of total of 672 seats. These 7 institutions are the premier medical institutions of the country with best the medical (MBBS, MD, MS, Paramedical, Nursing, Health Science) education. The exam is on May 29, 2017 for which the registrations open from February till March. The AIIMS Exam application form is available online.
Indians: Aspiring doctors have to be above the age of 17 years on the 31st December of the year of admission. One needs to clear 12th grade with at least 60% total marks from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, English and Biology.
Overseas Citizen of India: Only people who are registered under Section 7A of the Citizenship Act, 1995 can apply through OCI. The aspirants also have to fulfill the same criteria as to for Indians.
Foreign Nationals: Foreign Nationals applying for AIIMS have to score an aggregate of 50% in class 12th. Further foreign individuals selected by the Indian Government can apply under this. Foreign Nationals do not have to sit for the AIIMS Exam.
The registration for AIIMS begins from mid-February and goes on till March. To apply online the aspirants have to apply through the official website of AIIMS. The official website provides with the application form and the candidates have to upload their scanned passport sized photo. Once, the registration is done the login id and password is generated for the candidate for further notices. The application fee for AIIMS Exam is Rs. 1000/- for general and OBC students, Rs. 800/- for SC/ST. The application fee is payable by SBI challan, credit card, debit card or net banking. The login id of AIIMS updates the candidates with all the information, the admit card for AIIMS exam is available only online. Candidates must remember that the AIIMS Admit Card will not be sent via post. The candidates are required to download it from the official website.
AIIMS Exam can be taken in Hindi or English as per the aspirant’s preference. AIIMS Exam comprises of one paper having 200 questions. These questions are multiple choice questions. The AIIMS Exam paper is divided into Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Botany and Zoology) and General Knowledge. For every right answer the candidate is given one mark and for every wrong answer there is deduction of 1/3 mark. The AIIMS Exam is for 3 hours 30 minutes. Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Botany and Zoology) are of 60 questions each, while general knowledge section is of 20 questions.
The syllabus for the subjects is given below:
Syllabus for Physics
- Wave Motion: Optics
- Circular Motion
- Kinetic Theory of Gases
- Atom: thermodynamics
- Nuclear Physics
- Electro- Magnetic Induction
- Electronic Devices
Syllabus for Chemistry
Section- A: General and Inorganic Chemistry
- Structure of an Atom
- Molecules& Chemical Bonds
- Periodic Properties of Elements
Section – B: Organic Chemistry
- Chemistry of Elements
Section – C: Physical Chemistry
- State of Matter
- Chemical Equilibrium
Syllabus for Zoology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Reproductive System
- Development Biology
- Diversity of Animal Life
- Genetics and Evolution
Syllabus for Botany
- Anatomy and Physiology of Plants
- Internal and external regulators of growth and development in plants
- Internal structure of stem and secondary growth
- Xylem and Phloem
- Internal structure of dicot and monocot leaves photosynthesis
- History, Importance, factors and Mechanism
- Transpiration and respiration
- Internal structure of dicot and monocot roots
- Absorption and cell water relations, transport of water and minerals
- Tropic and turgor movements
- Botany and Human Welfare
The AIIMS Exam result is declared by June. The result can be viewed online on their official website. After the result a merit list is prepared on the basis of percentile score of total raw scores. For the purpose of merit, there are four lists that are prepared as follows:
- Common Merit List: The common merit list incorporates aspirants from the general category and the other categories of SC/ST/OBC. As per this list, the candidates belonging to the SC/ST/OBC category, when selected in the same standard as applied to the general category candidates, shall not be considered for the seats against reservations.
- Scheduled Caste Candidate List: This merit list mainly includes the aspirants according to their percentile score in the entrance exam belonging to the scheduled caste category.
- Scheduled Tribe Candidate List: This merit list particularly includes the aspirants according to their percentile score in the entrance exam belonging to the Scheduled Tribe category.
Other Backward Classes Candidate List: This merit list particularly includes the aspirants according to their percentile score in the entrance exam belonging to the OBC category.